Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Bountiful Harvest

The garden made it through our absence in excellent condition, and our neighbors all enjoyed the squash, cucumbers, green beans, banana peppers, tomatoes and corn. I admit that I was jealous not to get the first of the tomatoes and corn, but it was well worth waiting for.

There are still plenty of tomatoes ripening on the vine.

marcellino tomatoes on the vine

We'll be enjoying fresh tomatoes for at least the next three weeks.

costuloto tomatoes on the vine

The eggplant have just started coming into season, so we'll have plenty of those for the next six weeks! Lock your doors and keep your windows closed unless you want your house to be filled with eggplant while you're away! We always have a ton of them!

eggplant on the vine

I can't believe how many banana peppers a single plant produces! I put some in vinegar last night for my FIL, as he LOVES them on his pizza. Park's Seeds sent us a packet of these seeds for free with our Spring order. Thanks Park's!

banana peppers on the vine

We'll probably get another half dozen cucumbers, but they're pretty much spent.

cucumber on the vine

The green beans are working on a second round. These beans have not been my favorite, and I won't plant them again next year. I like the bush habit of these beans (no staking or trellis required), but the beans get tough way too soon, and when they get tough, they are inedible. These are tenderette green beans from Park's, but they haven't lived up to their "tender" name.

green beans second crop

And of course there's the corn! The first planting was pretty much devoured in our absence, but we have a second crop that should be ready mid-week next week. I had one piece over the weekend, and holy cow - it's so good!

corn ready for the pickin'

Sadly, the squash are about done. It's getting too hot for them, and the squash borers are taking them down. Not only are they getting worms in their fruit, but also in the plant itself, and once you get a worm in the plant, it withers and dies pretty quickly.

squash in august

I need to get to planning what I want to sow after all the squash have finished up their work. It's a tricky time of year, because it's too hot for the Fall crop, but there isn't really enough time for a Summer planting. Maybe some Winter squash? I'll look into it!

2 Comments:

At 4:42 PM , Blogger Tami said...

That is the most beautiful vine of tomatoes ever!

 
At 1:12 PM , Blogger Priscilla said...

I concur!! GORGEOUS TOMATOES!!

I'm so jealous.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home