Thursday, April 22, 2010

Prairie Petite

Lilac is my favorite scent on earth. It's too bad for me that lilacs bloom only once a year, and for a very short amount of time.

When we moved into the house, I knew I wanted to plant lilac somewhere in the yard, but to be honest, I'm not really fond of the dull Summer foliage and oversized often leggy habit of the lilac bush. When I saw a "miniature" lilac in the Park's Seed catalogue, I was very excited, and despite the $30 price tag, ordered one for my purple and yellow perennial bed.

Here is Prairie Petite at the start of his 4th year. It took this little fellow a lot of energy to make those two blooms you see there, so don't laugh!

prairie petite lilac year 4

I don't think he's grown much since last year. This bush is supposed to stay under 4', but I didn't realize they meant this much under 4'!

prairie petite lilac year 3

He was a tiny little guy at year 2.

prairie petite lilac bush

But not as small as when I first planted him.

prairie petite lilac

Since he isn't taking up much room, I'll let him stick around a while longer!

Park's Seeds does not offer this plant at this time. I did find the same plant for sale at White Flower Farm if you are interested. I have never ordered from this site, but I have friends who reported good experiences with their plants.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 9:14 PM , Blogger Wilma said...

Hi Normans Mom and Dad,
We are having our first spring in our new house. Wehave a ginormus lilac tree that is about to bloom. Mom is pumped too smell the scent wafting into the window. Whiteflower Farms is about 20 minutes from us and Mom and Dad love it. The farm itself is just gorgeous, and the quality of their plants is top notch. A little pricey, but worth it.

 
At 7:21 AM , Blogger Clint said...

Mackinaw Island in MI has a lilac festival every June I think it is and I can't put my finger on it but I swear I read somewhere they have come out with a lilac that re-blooms. I will try to see if I can find it.

 
At 9:32 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'd love to learn about a re-blooming lilac!

 
At 10:44 AM , Blogger Clint said...

http://www.readershopping.com/sybllibu.html

I did a quick google and this is what I got first. There I haven't grown it nor do I know anyone who has.

 
At 10:45 AM , Blogger Clint said...

http://gurneys.com/product.asp?pn=71337&bhcd2=1273243232

This a apparently another one in pink and again I am just informing not endorsing.

 
At 10:55 AM , Blogger Clint said...

If you want to see more lilacs stop over at my blog I just posted pics- ours are in full bloom right now. The variegated one is called "sensation"

 
At 2:14 PM , Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home