Monday, June 02, 2008

Perennial Flowerbox

The perennials in the flowerbox are really doing great. The salvia and coreopsis are both beginning to bloom, and the calamintha should be blooming soon. I had to thin out some of the perennials, because seven large plants was a bit too much for the space. I removed two salvia from the sides and left the one in the center. I didn't want the plants to be so crammed in there that there was no room for growth.

perennial flowerbox

This plant combination reminds me of a miniature wildflower field. I just love it. I especially like the purple / yellow color combination. It really reflects what I consider to be my personal style as a gardener. To me, pastels are "old-fashioned," white is "classic," etc, and although I like a lot of different styles, this flowerbox feels like me.

perennial flowerbox

I mixed in some multi-colored annual verbana and snapdragons for additional contrast, but they haven't been too excited about growing yet. Hopefully they'll find their energy burst soon. I like to mix in annuals, because they add a quick splash of color when the perennials are fading, and I can change them out with each season so the flowerbox isn't static all year long.

When I reorganized the perennials in the flowerbox, I transplanted the two extra salvia plants to the backyard. I was hoping to deter the dog from launching off the herb box by planting a flower garden in front of it, but he still launches from the box and now pees on the flowers beneath it. Maybe when / if they get taller he will find another place to do his business.

herb box

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:41 AM , Blogger Tami said...

The boxes look beautiful.

 
At 4:08 PM , Blogger Pam said...

I love the boxes. Beautiful!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home