Friday, August 07, 2009

Surrogate Color

When the blue blossoms of Baptisia fade, a gap of colorless space is left in the perennial garden. To remedy this, I use morning glories to fill in where Baptisia left off.

morning glory filling in color

Beware - you have to keep this annual under control. Morning glory has much ambition and will dominate an area if left unchecked. Allow her to casually ramble among your Spring-blooming perennials during Summer, but keep her pruned back to prevent her from strangling the other plants.

Morning glory will reseed year after year and become even more ambitious in the process. Be sure to thin out the vines when they are young, as they can be difficult to remove when long strands have wrapped around each other and anything else in the vicinity.

I have never actually sowed a morning glory seed. This plant was transplanted from volunteers that sprung up three years ago in the front yard. I suppose a bird "put" it there!

3 Comments:

At 1:09 PM , Blogger Priscilla said...

I so love my morning glories. I can usually grow them all year. A dear friend gave them to me and I always remember how much I love her when I see them 'smiling' at me in the morning.

 
At 1:09 PM , Blogger Priscilla said...

ps: Why don't you advert this site. It's awesome!!

 
At 6:11 PM , Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

You're so sweet - thank you :) I figure no one really wants to read about my boring old yard. I started this blog as a diary so I would remember what I did and when I did it the year before. It's turned out to become an informative blog too for people looking how to do certain things. It's been pretty cool.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home