Thursday, May 17, 2007

3-Tiered Planter

I bought this three-tiered planter last Fall on mega clearance from Lowes. I think I paid $9 for it. I was going to fill it with boring $1.50 annuals, because I didn't want to spend too much money on it, but then my MIL gave me a gift certificate to the Jesse Israel Garden Center at the WNC Farmer's Market. Thanks to her, I was able to fill it with much cooler flowers than petunias and impatiens! I chose a big geranium for the top tier, peach superbells and white verbana in the middle tier and lantana and verbana in the bottom tier. I just love the way this planter looks!

tiered_basket_5_2007

I haven't really been a big fan of geraniums in the past, but they were my Mom's favorite flower. It was near Mother's day when I was picking out these flowers, and when I saw the geraniums, I felt like getting one in memory of her. I think she would really like it (although I'm sure she would have chosen a red one), and I too am starting to warm up to geraniums. I really like the softly scalloped edges and fuzzy texture of the foliage.

The superbells are from Proven Winners. I have been lusting after Proven Winners plants, but I couldn't really justify the price. However, after buying these three, I am sold on Proven Winners. I think I will buy some of these superbells for my hanging baskets next year instead of trying to grow my own from seed. They are really worth the cost!

super_bells_5_2007

The foliage of the lantana has the greatest scent - it's very citrus-like. I really like the two-tone color of the flowers also. The flowers bloom all yellow at first, and as they age, the outer ring turns pink. How cool!

lantana_5_2007

I think verbana is my new favorite annual. I don't even remember seeing verbana last year. I wonder if there was some sort of verbana shortage.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home