Friday, March 07, 2008

The Smell of Spring

I sowed 75 perennial and annual flower seeds over the past two weeks in peat pods and plastic trays. I know last year I said I would never try annuals again after my pitiful attempt with petunias, angelonia and other stubborn seeds, but I often say things I don't mean! LOL! Also, I am too perseverant (ie; hard-headed) to give up so easily.

Here is the uncovered tray. This is my smallest tray that holds 25 peat pods. My other tray holds 55 peat pods. Both trays have a clear plastic cover that sits on top of the tray to create a miniature greenhouse. My camera battery died as I was taking pictures, and this is all I ended up with.

sowing seeds indoors

I love to uncover the trays in the morning and breathe in the smell of the damp peat. Oh yum! It's one of my favorite smells ever!

Here is the list of seeds I sowed:

Carnations
Lupine
Blushing Susie Vine
Chleome
Chives
Salvia
Coreopsis
Shasta Daisy
Coneflower
Evening Primrose
Ruber (Jupiter's Beard)
Verbena

I check their progress several times a day, because you never know when a seedling is going to emerge. I'm sure I should leave them alone, but I can't help myself!

I have to buy another tray set this weekend from Jesse Israel for sowing the vegetable seeds. I got a little over ambitious with the flower seeds, and now there is no room for veg! We can't be having that!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 6:49 PM , Blogger Tami said...

It is exciting seeing new plants "being born" so to speak. You are witnessing the miracle of life.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home