Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Cow Manure - Breathe Deeply

We have been using cow manure as a fertilizer since we started gardening two years ago. As anyone who has worked with cow manure knows, you tend to inhale more than you would like while trying to spread it around. It is dry and light, and the slightest wind gust will send it flying in all directions, including up your nose! Although it disgusted me at first, I eventually learned to not think about it and just get on with my work. New research may change my mindset though. A recent study has shown that farmers who work with cow manure are five times less likely to develop lung cancer. Apparently the manure is helping them build up resistance to certain germs and even cancers. Breathe deeply gardeners! That poo may save your life ... Just don't think too hard about it.

2 Comments:

At 6:44 AM , Blogger Tami said...

I have a hard time smelling it when places like restaurants use it and you smell it as you're going in the door. Now I will think differently also. Thanks for the news!

 
At 11:40 AM , Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

Yeah, it's pretty gross! I didn't use it as much last year as the year before because it does tend to get in your lungs, but I'm going to go back to using it this year. It's just so nutritious for plants!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home