Friday, September 14, 2007

Fast-Growing Catmint

Here is the photo I posted of the catmint one month ago.

catmint and hydrangea

And here it is one month later.

catmint and hydrangeas

It has easily tripled in size, and that is without any "special" fertilizer; ie, Miracle Grow. I don't think I've fed these plants at all yet!

Not only are they growing fast, but the catmint I planted last Fall is spreading babies all over the perennial garden!

catmint propagates

Look at all those cute little babies.

catmint propagates

These offshoots are from seed, so if you don't want your catmint to spread, just keep it deadheaded, or pluck the little babies out of the soil before they get too big. I personally like the extra plants!

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 6:12 PM , Blogger Tami said...

Does catmint attract or detract cats or do nothing for cats at all? I need something that I can put in my flower bed that won't hurt the plants, but will detract cats.

 
At 9:45 AM , Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

I don't think it attracts, but I don't think it detracts either! Hmmm ... something to keep cats out. How about something thorny? Do you have any roses planted? Also, squash (pumpkins, crookneck squash, butternut, etc) will keep them out, because they have thorny vines. Cats don't like to step over the thorny vines.

 
At 3:24 PM , Blogger Tami said...

Oh, great ideas! Thanks!

 
At 2:44 PM , Blogger Leigh said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:45 PM , Blogger Leigh said...

i just got some catmint my mom sent me as a gift. i'm pretty new to gardening, but wanted to go ahead and plant it now...so is this (october 2) too late in the year to plant it? how will it do in the winter (i live in northwest ohio, get plenty of snow).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home