Thursday, August 30, 2007

Carrot Complex

Look at my fat little carrots!

carrots

Do you think they have a complex about being so short and fat? Maybe they don't know they are strange looking since they have never seen a "regular" carrot. I'm being very careful not to bring any other carrots into the house until we eat all these fat little guys, because I don't want them to get a complex about their size - LOL!

These carrots were grown from Ferry Morse "Red Cored Chantenay 7317B" seed purchased from the Jesse Israel Garden Center at the Farmer's Market here in Asheville. This seed is specifically for "poor soil", and the packet indicates that the carrots perform well in heavy soils. "Regular" carrots require sandy soil as their tender roots are able to push through the light soil to become long and slender. I suspect my fatty little clay-loving carrots are so short because carrots don't have the strength to push through our heavy clay soil.

What these carrots lack in length, they make up for in girth, and they have a nice sweet flavor. I don't really like carrots, but even I recognize that these carrots have a good flavor. I bet they'll make a great stew!

I did try some "regular" carrots purchased from Park Seeds, and they completely fizzled out, so if you have clay soil, don't bother with the regular carrots.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:58 AM , Blogger Tami said...

They are very bright and pretty!

 
At 12:27 PM , Blogger L said...

Oh man, those carrots are hilarious! They are like little troll carrots!

I used to buy baby carrots for the dogs until I found out that there is a machine that just widdles down normal carrots to baby carrot size and then they throw the rest out....those carrots are made of LIES!

 
At 2:25 PM , Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

lmizzle - You are a hoot and a half.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home