Monday, September 08, 2008

Beware the Saddleback Caterpillar

saddleback caterpillar

This peculiar little caterpillar may look interesting, but I advise you to keep from touching him. I accidentally brushed against one this morning while turning off the spigot, and now my arm has broken out in a burning rash! Naughty little saddleback caterpillar! He thinks he can just feast on my baptisia and sting me for no good reason! Well, he's probably right, because I'm too intimidated by him to do anything about it!

Apparently, his spikes are laced with a nasty venom that, when touched, feels a lot like a bee sting. I can attest to that!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 7:44 PM , Blogger Bee said...

I accidentally sat on one of these while visiting my grandmother in your neck of the woods. It stung the dickens out of my leg. I understand completely why you're intimidated by the bugger.

 
At 8:51 AM , Blogger Gordon Smith said...

Hiya Tammy and Ian,

I'm making the rounds just in case you didn't get an email invitation. Our email database is spotty at best.

The Extravablogiversapaloozathon 2008 is September 27th, and we're hoping every area blogger will come!

Party Info here.

BlogAsheville awards nomination thread here.

RSVP thread here.

 
At 9:37 AM , Blogger Tami said...

I haven't seen any of those. It is neat looking, but I wouldn't want it feeding on my plants.

 
At 8:38 PM , Blogger Sim said...

Needle nose pliers may work on those saddlebacks....they hurt you, you hurt them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home