Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Plot of the Pumpkin

I'm quite certain this pumpkin vine is plotting to take over the yard, and just because there is a fence between ours and the neighbors' yards doesn't mean the neighbors should be too comfortable in their security either - pumpkin vines can climb fences. Oh yes. The entire neighborhood is at risk with this vine. Our only hope is an early killing frost, the pumpkin's one enemy. Well, that and a pair of pruning shears!

huge pumpkin plant

I planted pumpkins last year, and one fruit formed, but it rotted before it matured. I was a little peeved with my pumpkin production, since they are supposed to be easy to grow, so I tried again this year. I planted eight vines this year, but this one plant is the only one doing anything interesting.

We have two baby pumpkins!

Baby 1.

baby pumpkin

Baby 2.

baby pumpkin

My, what a unique naming convention I have employed here! I'm keeping a close eye on them for any signs of rotting. I'm not sure what to do when I notice signs of rotting, but NOT noticing rotting will make me feel good. So really, I'm keeping an eye out for NO signs of rotting. I hope to harvest a couple of pumpkins by Halloween!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 3:54 PM , Blogger Tami said...

Oh, those vines do grow quickly! They are amazing. I hope they both make it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home