Monday, April 06, 2009

A Little Hint of Holland

The 100 tulips I planted last Fall are in bloom, and they look fantastic. I am always impressed with the bulbs I buy from Sam's Club. Yeah, I'm always a little surprised by statements like that too. I mean seriously, it's Sam's Club. They can't actually sell good bulbs, right? Wrong. Check it out.

yellow and red tulips

It's like a little Dutch field teleported to North Carolina. I took this photo on Friday, and the yellow bulbs have all opened up since then. It's really ugly and overcast today though, so I don't have an updated photo.

These tulips are growing down the sidewalk with the daisies. I swear they must be volunteers, because I have never planted yellow and red tulips out front. I do have some like this in a container in the back yard, but I doubt they sprouted legs and moved. They sure are pretty!

yellow and red tulips

We have been busy little gardeners here in Bent Creek. We've cut the grass for the first time, we have snap peas and onions growing in the garden, the roses have been pruned and cleaned up, and I have started a new perennial bed! I have 200+ seedlings growing in the spare room (AKA - the room where plants go to die) waiting for that magical May 9th planting date.

I hear it's going to snow tonight. I hope all those people who were at Lowe's this weekend buying petunias didn't plant them! I warned them not to, but they probably thought I was a crazy woman since it was in the 70's and so lovely.

In other news, we have finally been downgraded to a D1 drought! We can wash our cars again! I'm sure the guy across the street will be happy. He has only been washing ONE car per week, but now he can wash all FOUR every week! Woo-hoo for him. Note sarcasm.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:03 AM , Blogger michelle said...

Tammy & Ian

Love the tulips. Grew up in Pella Iowa - you should google it to see pictures of their annual Tulip Time festival. Our family is moving to the Arden area in June - planning a major garden there. We'll surely visit your prior posts often as we learn a new climate. 1 question for now - do you irrigate much or at all? We're building a home, going as green as we can, and coming from CA planned to incorporate greywater use. But seems to be only ok for underground irrigation. Just not sure how useful that will be. I've linked my tiny blog to yours (www.whatcomesofcompost.blogspot.com) mostly so I can visit yours periodically.

 
At 9:57 AM , Blogger Tami said...

Those tulips are beautiful!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home