Monday, October 27, 2008

100 Mixed Tulips

I planted 100 mixed tulips (red, orange and yellow) this weekend in the "new" perennial bed in the front yard. It was laborious work! I had to man handle the verbana to get sufficient bulbs planted beneath their sprawling arms and did my best to infiltrate the evening primrose so that huge section of the bed is not naked come Spring. I look forward to the splendor of Spring, but for now, I'm enjoying the Fall color.

Now is the time to plant your Spring bulbs. Spring bulbs like tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, etc require a sufficient chilling period to produce their lovely Spring blooms. They should go into the ground before it freezes since frozen ground is difficult to work. I have had great success with bulbs purchased from Sam's Club and Bluestone Perennials. Bulbs I have purchased from Lowe's and Brecks have been disappointing though.

I admit that I become lethargic this time of year, so it was difficult for me to muster the ambition to plant the tulips. I just get "gardened-out" by September, I guess!

Ian did an excellent job picking all the grass out of the daisies while I planted bulbs! The daisies are currently grass-free, but I'm sure the pesky grass will find its way back in the fertile daisy soil. Why does the grass not grow where I want it to grow, but flourish where it's not wanted? I will never understand ...

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:36 PM , Blogger Tami said...

The high temperature was like 45 degrees today. I cannot imagine being outside planting in that cold weather.

 
At 9:39 AM , Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

It was cold here too, but there was no wind, so it felt warmer. I think it was in the high 50's though, which is much warmer than 45. It's snowing right now though.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home