Thursday, June 11, 2009

Vole Hole

I planted this rock garden three years ago and have been fighting with a vole over it ever since. The rock garden is really more attractive than it looks in this photo - it's quite unphotogenic.

norman with rock garden

See the little holes the vole likes to make in the soil.

vole hole

I wouldn't mind a little hole here and there, but he also eats the roots of my plants and tears the site to pieces. What does he do with all that soil? I have to replace 1/3 of it twice a year! Does he eat it? What a weird little critter.

vole hole

I have tried vole repellent spray and granules, but neither have had any affect on his digging. If you've got a vole repellent suggestion that doesn't involve a cat, please do share. I actually had the opportunity to kill this little fellow one time, but he is just so darn cute I couldn't bring myself to do it. I don't mind him chilling in the yard, but he needs to work on his manners!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:59 AM , Blogger Shawna Lee Coronado said...

Voles absolutely adore peanut butter mixed with rat poison. They eat it right up!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home