Friday, May 22, 2009

Squirrel POW Camp

I'm at war with the squirrels. They have been digging in my squash, and that's not cool. The poor little seeds haven't even had a chance to germinate yet! The squirrels are so audacious that they dug up the seeds, ate the soft center from the pod and left the empty pod laying next to the freshly dug hole.

I hate squirrels.

They have wised up to the old "fake snake" trick, and they're not falling for it this year. Maybe I should get a real snake, or a mongoose. Yeah, I think a mongoose would work.

fake snake to scare away birds and squirrels

My wire mesh tee pees are all busy protecting the corn from birds and squirrels, so they will be no help to the squash this year.

wire mesh tee pees to keep the squirrels out of the seed line

So I had to come up with a new idea to deter squirrels. Check out this combat zone.

squirrel POW camp

Regardless which direction the squirrels try to enter the seed zone, they will get a little stabbity stab courtesy of a bamboo shish-ka-bob skewer, hopefully in the eyeball.

squirrel POW camp

I'll let you know if they work.

I also sprinkled some cayenne pepper around each seedling planting. Hopefully these squirrels aren't Cajun.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:42 AM , Blogger Tami said...

Do you think it would work better if the snake was a different color?

 
At 10:09 AM , Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

A different color than purple? LOL!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home