Monday, April 17, 2006

The Transplant Was a Failure

Well, it's official ... the shrub we transplanted by the mailbox is dead. We dug it up this weekend and replaced it with a cute little burning bush from Lowe's. Looking back, I see now why it died ... right after we transplanted it, a harsh cold front came through and brought freezing winds that whipped right through the poor thing for days. I'm sure it suffered severe shock from the winds since it was used to the shelter provided by its brother and sister shrubs. In retrospect, we should have covered it until it became better acclimated.

Along with the new shrub, we bought some daisies, a purple clematis and silver mountain something or other to adorn the mailbox area. I thought I was going to have to fight some lady at Lowe's for the yellow daisies, as she was giving me the serious creep eye while I was looking through them. When I finished, she swooped in to claim hers, nearly knocking me over to get to them. The clematis was pretty weak and mal-nourished, but for $5, I had to give it a shot. I am trying to train it to wrap around the mailbox, but I think I need to secure it somehow to get it started.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home