Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Perennial Power

I'm very happy with the "English cottage" garden look I've got going on in the front of the house. While I still haven't ripped out the evening primrose, things are coming along quite nicely.

perennials late spring

The right side is my pride and joy at the moment. Knock out roses create a lovely background for bee balm, goldenrod and phlox, which sets the scene for yarrow, veronica, coreopsis, butterfly weed and asiatic lilies. I would like the bee balm and goldenrod to take a chill pill and quit growing before they completely block the roses, but you can't control an English cottage garden! I'm eager to see some blooms from the taller plants too, but I can wait ...

perennials late spring

The "out of control" ratty nature of the primrose adds to the look in this bed, right? Phlox towers proudly in the background as shasta daisies and coreopsis open the show.

perennials late spring

I am determined to rid the bed of that primrose soon, but I have yet to decide what will replace it. I'm leaning toward yarrow and foxglove, but I am easily swayed by the abundant choices at the plant stores right now!

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:03 AM , Blogger Wilma said...

How lovely, I can almost smell them from here!

 
At 10:59 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

The primrose smells surprisingly good. I actually did yank it out last night. It was kind of sad, but that stuff is persistent - it'll be back in a week!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home