Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Growing Okra

We're growing okra this year for the first time. I sowed a row of "Clemson Spineless" seeds directly in the garden in mid-May. The seeds are from Park's Seeds, but are no longer available on their website. The germination rate was very good. I think I only had to resow 2 seeds that either didn't come up or were plucked from the ground by a bird. The seed pack advises to sow 1 1/2 to 2 feet apart, but I sowed mine about 4 inches apart. I'm a rebel like that. When you don't have much space, you have to push the limits!

Okra leaves resemble maple leaves.



The dark-eyed creamy white flowers resemble those of Rose of Sharon or even Hibiscus.



The flowers fade quickly and develop into an edible Okra pod.



Okra are generally ready for harvest at around 2-4 inches in length. When harvested often, the plants will continue to produce throughout the entire summer.

I'm excited to cook up the first batch this weekend! I love it fried (naughty, I know) and lightly sauteed in olive oil (or butter), and Ian likes to use it in gumbo.

1 Comments:

At 4:33 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks. I am growing for the first time. Live in Wake co. (piedmont/coastal border) I just set plants a couple weeks ago. They seem to have stalled at about 14" tall. Did I start too late? How long until plant takes off?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home