Friday, June 11, 2010

Reporting for Duty!

The first time I heard the word "volunteer" in terms of gardening was from Ian's granny describing cosmos that were growing in a place she had not specifically planted them. They had "volunteered" themselves to grow! I thought it was a really cool word and started using it myself. Not everyone uses this word, so I'm passing it on to you (if you weren't already familiar).

Each year I get hundreds of volunteer tomatoes that grow from the seeds of the previous year's fallen tomatoes. I usually just hoe them out of the soil, but this year I'm going to let one grow.

This costuloto volunteered himself to grow in the mulch at the bottom right of the garden bed! He already has a cute little fruit forming, and is stronger than the plants I set out in late May. How could I possibly hoe him out when he has such a strong will to serve me some tomatoes!

volunteer tomato

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:36 PM , Blogger Clint said...

My 84 year old dad has used that term for years. I always carefully preserve as many of the volunteers as I can of any thing that shows up because you know they will grow :-) I like the spunk of any vegetable or flower that just comes up/back on it's own. Yeah for the volunteers!

 
At 4:32 PM , Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

I agree completely! If I can't use those eager plants, I find someone else who can.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home