Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Gooseneck Loosestrife Transplants

Last Fall I transplanted 13 twigs of gooseneck loosestrife from my MIL's garden into my newly created Hydrangea garden. Here is the view in September.

hydrangea garden

I never thought those spindly little twigs would make it through the Fall let alone re-emerge the next year, but they did! I was surprised to see new growth emerging from the ground in March! At first I thought it must be a weed, but then realized it was the gooseneck loosestrife.

gooseneck loosestrife transplant

Altogether, 11 of the 13 plants made it through the Winter. I know a bunny chomped one completely down to the ground, but I don't know what the 13th ones problem is - LOL! I have heard that this plant is hardy, but wow! They werent' kidding!

I sprinkled some 5-10-5 fertilizer around them and am enjoying watching them grow! There are tulips currently crowding out that bed, but I'll post pictures as they grow this Summer.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 4:00 PM , Blogger Pam said...

I had two hydrangea bushes that I planted late summer and I was sure that they were dead, with the drought and all. They both actually came right up though.

 
At 9:34 AM , Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

Hydrangeas do tend to wilt easily. I freak out every day around 1pm and start drenching them with water. It sounds like they are a lot more resilient than I give them credit for!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home