Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A New Love for Perennials

When I first started gardening, I preferred bulbs to perennials, because I found perennials to be too weed-like, overgrown and out of control looking. However, now that I have some experience with perennials and bulbs, I have to say that I much prefer perennials to bulbs. Bulbs bloom only once then quickly fade - most perennials bloom from Spring to late Fall with multiple blooms per plant. Bulbs are usually just one boring stem and a flower - perennials provide a nice bushy, full plant to fill any spot. Perennials also make great cut flower arrangements, and the more flowers you pick, the more flowers spring up to take their place!



My Spring flowerbox was filled with daffodils and tulips, and I wanted my Summer flowerbox to also contain bulbs, so I tried Poppies, but the afternoon sun was too hot and baked the bulbs. So, I had to resort to - gag - perennials. Now, I'm thanking the afternoon sun for baking those Poppies, because I love my Lavendar and Rose Yarrow! I also added some trailing Vinca and dark purple Petunias for more interest. I have never liked Petunias either, but they look nice in this setting. I love the overgrown English cottage look the perennials have given the flowerbox. This is a lot more interesting than a row of daffodils or tulips, and the flowers will continue to bloom until the first frost.

Sadly, all the daffodil and tulip bulbs were also baked and turned to mush, so they won't be returning next Spring. I think I might plant some more though to keep the flowerbox interesting in the Spring until the perennials decide to show their pretty little heads again.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home